Saturday, September 24, 2005

I have a horn to toot.

Project Censored presents the 10 biggest stories the mainstream media ignored over the past year.

I think the list may be a bit slanted. What I'm proud of is that I've heard of most of these stories already, and a few of them I've mentioned here. Their list (go there for details):
  1. Bush administration moves to eliminate open government (heard this before)
  2. Media coverage fails on Iraq: Fallujah and the civilian death toll (I linked to something about the civilian death toll in Iraq here without talking about it much)
  3. Another year of distorted election coverage (everyone has a complaint about the election, even the winners).
  4. Surveillance society quietly moves in (yup)
  5. US uses tsunami to military advantage in Southeast Asia (hadn't heard that)
  6. The real oil-for-food scam (I haven't even paid attention to the "fake" one)
  7. Journalists face unprecedented dangers to life and livelihood (I talked about dangers to journalists here)
  8. Iraqi farmers threatened by Bremer's mandates (hadn't heard that)
  9. Iran's new oil trade system challenges US currency (I talked about a connection between oil, euros, and dollars in this post, but I didn't know that had anything to do with Iran)
  10. Mountaintop removal threatens ecosystem and economy (wha?)
So I almost feel well-informed. On the other hand, my mainstream media intake is pretty limited. I don't watch TV news at all. Nevertheless I still get the jokes on Leno and The Daily Show, so I guess I'm not doing too bad.

No comments: