Wednesday, September 07, 2005

No pictures, please.

I just happened to see these two at the same time. They go together so well, I thought I'd show them to you at the same time too.

First up was "Blinded By The Light?" from BAGnewsNotes which observed that there aren't any pictures in the news of the horrors of the Superdome.
So my question is, weren't any "non-romanticized" photos taken inside the Dome after the first day or so? And if so, why haven't we seen any? And if not, why not?

Certainly, there were quite a few news photographers inside the building throughout the week. Would these intrepid people argue that photos could only be taken from a symbolic Green Zone? And what about amateur images? I understand most local residents arrived with next-to-nothing, but what about those tourists who still had their luggage? In light of the images that emerged during the London subway attacks, is it possible there weren't even any cell phone photos?
Next up is "FEMA Wants No Photos of Dead" from the Los Angeles Times (which I found via this post at ThinkProgress):
"We have requested that no photographs of the deceased be made by the media," the spokeswoman said in an e-mail.
I don't think these are necessarily related. The request from FEMA appears to post-date what happened at the Superdome. Still, I thought it was interesting, the two of them right together like that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Odd. I had the pleasure of watching Fox News around lunchtime on Monday and they aired video showing a dead body on part of the Interstate in LA. Definitely disturbing.