Thursday, September 08, 2005

Doom 3

I downloaded Doom 3 just to get a look at it. I'd heard it was scary, and I thought to myself, "self, that's just too scary for you." I figured I'd fire it up, see a few zombies and demons, and that would be that.

Well, I got into it. I played for maybe 20 minutes per week for about three months, and then I figured I ought to buy it. I haven't opened the package, but I'm now legit and proud of it. So far, I've bought every id Software game I've played for longer than ten minutes (the original Doom, Quake II, and Quake III Arena). My computer just barely can handle it (on the lowest quality setting), and I always reboot after playing to avoid some oddball instability that shows up afterward. Otherwise, it's been great.

It is scary. I don't play at night. I get creeped out going into the basement, even during the day. It's so scary that even when the walkthrough I (sometimes) use tells me the scary thing that's going to happen, it still startles me.

One day, playing without the walkthrough, I came to a dark corner and thought, "that can't be good." I switched to the flashlight. Then some monster jumped out of the corner at me, and I jumped and yelled such that my wife thought a bug had scurried across my hands or something. (In retrospect, I should have just tossed a grenade around that corner. I've since gotten a lot of peace of mind from dark corners that have had a couple grenades detonate in them.)

The thing scares the crap out of me sometimes, but I still play it. It's a great game.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jim just tried the demo for an interesting thriller called Indigo Prophecy (I think that's the name) and it was super cool. It's not a FPS but it's also not like any other game ever.

Garou said...

I've been avoiding FPS games for a while - I've been playing MMORPGs instead. Technically, only one - I refuse to pay for four or five different games per month, when I only have time for one.

Still, I enjoyed the first DOOM, so I might have to pick this one up as it heads toward the discount bin in a few months.