Thursday, June 23, 2005

Why did we invade Iraq?

This is a good question, which I swiped for another post. I'm not proud.

There's a possible answer that I've heard float around for a long time, but I don't hear it talked about much. I can't quite tell if it's a crackpot conspiracy theory or a complex truth ill-suited to the sound bites required to get it into the public consciousness.

Someone who used to work at the Pentagon says that the reason for the Iraq war was that the U.N. would have let Iraq sell oil for euros, not dollars. The fact that all the oil producing nations in the world sell their oil only for American dollars is very important to America's economy.

Once sanctions on Iraq were lifted (and The Duelfer report said that Saddam was close to getting that), Iraq would sell oil for something other than dollars and threaten the dollar's place in the world economy. Perhaps that was what the Bush administration considered the real imminent threat.

As I said, I'm not sure I believe it, but I don't believe a lot of the other reasons given either.

Thanks to Pacific Views for the link to Soldier for the Truth.

No comments: