Luckily, I bought a warranty. Sadly, the one I had is no longer made. I had to spend $14 on an upgrade to an iRiver H320, which is functionally identical with the exception of photo viewing, which I haven't tried.
I'm here to tell you what's good and bad about the new gadget.
- Pretty color screen!
- All the controls are on the face.
- It charges off a USB connection, so I can leave the blocky charger at home.
- When the display turns off, the first button you hit does nothing but turn the display on. It makes eyes-free operation harder.
- Case covers up the data port (so I have to take it out to plug it in). The case isn't really necessary, but I figure it might offer a little protection from pavement plunges.
- No power indicator. I ran the battery dry not knowing I'd left it on.