Thursday, October 27, 2005

Copyrights last too long.

If I write something today (y'know, hypothetically), it is automatically under copyright, and that lasts until 70 years after I die. If I live to be 70 years old, and my children have their first children at the same age I did (28), the copyright will last until the year my great great great grandchild is born. My daughter will be 114 years old, if she's still with us, and her first child will be 84.

I think copyright holders should pay to renew their copyrights every year. That way, when a work under copyright is no longer making money, it goes into the public domain. I'd like it if the price of renewal went up every year too, so long-term money makers (e.g., Mickey Mouse) would still eventually go into the public domain.

1 comment:

XXX said...

you are right about that yearlt payment
regards
adam clair