Monday, October 17, 2005

Celebrity causes.

Celebrities are sometimes criticized for using their fame to promote their pet causes. There's no reason some pretty face in Hollywood should get more of a voice than anyone else, but they have it anyway, and sometimes they use it.

I try to think about this from the other perspective. If I were a celebrity, and I had a handful of monkeys with cameras following me around everywhere I went, what would I do? I'd have the power to focus attention on any spot I went. I didn't ask for the cameras any more than I asked for brown hair, but there they are like flies on sequels.

I can try to ignore them. I can try to avoid them (with, perhaps, Dire Consequences). Or maybe, just maybe, I can use them to do some good in the world.

I could fly my winning smile to some forsaken place where people are enduring one or more of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Behold the misery! Please help!

I think ultimately, personally, I'd decide not to abuse my supernatural comic book powers of popular attention. Still, it would be tempting to try to use my powers for good rather than banal.

No comments: