Saturday, October 15, 2005

My idea, implemented.

A while back, I had the idea of collecting volunteers to record themselves reading books for people who could not turn pages themselves. I was thinking ahead to what I knew would happen to my mom. I was concerned, at the time, with the possibility of copyright infringement for reading modern books, but commenters brought up another problem. Specifically, "listening to Joe Nobody for several hours quickly gets tiring." Shortly after, someone did it with Lawrence Lessig's book, Free Culture. I listened to it, and I enjoyed it. I liked listening to a new voice every chapter. Some of them had very nice foreign accents. Still, I wondered if I would want to listen to a lot of books that way, after the novelty wore off.

Now, LibriVox seems to have fully implemented the idea and avoided the whole copyright issue by only working on public domain books. I haven't volunteered yet, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

No comments: