Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Bush knew that Rove leaked.

This post at Think Progress links to a New York Daily News story that says President Bush knew that Karl Rove leaked Valerie Plame's identity in September 2003. The sources for this are all anonymous, of course, but I have no problem believing it since I already don't trust President Bush. This part stuck out to me:
A second well-placed source said some recently published reports implying Rove had deceived Bush about his involvement in the Wilson counterattack were incorrect and were leaked by White House aides trying to protect the President.
That sounds like further cause for investigation.

The article says that conversations between President Bush and Karl Rove began "shortly after the Justice Department informed the White House in September 2003 that a criminal investigation had been launched," so that makes me wonder if President Bush already knew who the leak was when he said at the end of September,
I know of nobody -- I don't know of anybody in my administration who leaked classified information. If somebody did leak classified information, I'd like to know it, and we'll take the appropriate action.
Was he already lying about it? Did he think we wouldn't find out? Considering he was still saying the same stuff later, I don't think there's any doubt that he lied about it.

I'm wondering how someone loyal to President Bush could spin this. Maybe they think that getting mad at Rove but not taking any other action was the "appropriate action"?

No comments: