Wednesday, August 04, 2004

Recent Threat Reports

Perhaps you heard or read (as I did) Remarks by Secretary of Homeland Security Tom Ridge Regarding Recent Threat Reports.

There's so much PR here that it's hard for me to take seriously. I saw on the Daily Show the Tom Ridge quote, "we must understand that the kind of information available to us today is the result of the President's leadership in the war against terror." I wanted to see the context, and it's really not much better than the quote alone. Ridge talks a lot about what a great job they're doing.

I wanted to point out one more quote: "today, the United States Government is raising the threat level to Code Orange". This is supposed to mean that a threat exists, and the US Government is informing us of it. A literal reading, however, is that the threat comes from the US Government.

No comments: