Monday, August 09, 2004

A "Lady and the Tramp" moment

We ordered onion strings, and my darling daughter was enjoying them. At some point, she turned to me with one end of a string in her mouth, and held the other end out, waiting for something. It was loud at this place, so I leaned in to talk to her, and she kept pointing the other end of the onion string right at my mouth. I finally figured out what the game was, and she had a big grin when we ate the string from each end, coming nose to nose with each other.

She did this with me again, and then she wanted to do it with Mommy. Mommy was as confused as I was, so I told her the game.

She said to me, "I'm not sure how comfortable I am with that."

I said, "Yeah, I wonder where she learned it."

She said, "I thought you taught her!"

I don't think she's seen "Lady and the Tramp," but it's possible one of her tapes has just that one part in it. I don't have any other idea where she would have learned it. I doubt she came up with it on her own.

Since the first day she played with another child, our daughter has learned things we wouldn't have taught her ourselves. We're swiftly approaching the day when she starts spending a lot of time learning things away from us, and that's scary.

No comments: