Friday, August 06, 2004

Paranoia in the workplace.

I have a sign in my cube that says "YOU ARE HAPPY" in big blue letters. When we moved to our new digs, I wrote that on my white board in red marker.

A few weeks later, realizing the redundancy of the message, I changed it to read, "HAPPINESS IS MANDATORY", and the guy sitting on the other side of the aisle thought that someone was playing a joke on me. Someone who's not normally nearby noticed it and asked me if it was a reference to Paranoia, and it is.

Earlier this week, I changed it again to "SERVE THE COMPUTER". Someone passing asked if I was writing my white board notes along with the guy on my right. "No," I said, "I don't even know what he has on his."

I looked, and it says, "COMPLY".

Is it a trend? What will happen when I change it to some other stock phrase from Paranoia?

No comments: