Thursday, November 17, 2005

Alito caught in a lie.

Among the news that's overwhelmed me lately is news of Judge Sam Alito. It seems that 20 years ago he said that he thought that, in his personal opinion, the Constitution does not protect a woman's right to an abortion.

I'll say a third time what I said about the last two nominees: I'm not complaining that they agree with the President more than me.

What bothers me is this business of squirming out of this kind of history. I can understand him not wanting to own up to it if it's going to cost him a seat on the highest court in the land, but he's now put us into a position of wondering whether he was bullshitting his potential boss back then or bullshitting his potential boss today. It has to be one or the other, but honestly I don't care which.

If the man believes something I don't, then this is the price I pay for not being President of the United States, but if the guy can't tell us what he believes, I think the country would be better off without him on the court.

2 comments:

MDC said...

It confuses me how someone, who because he was already working under the President 20 years ago and undoubtedly had high career aspirations that most likely included the Supreme Court, would make those kinds of bold statements and not understand that he would have to own up to them later. I agree, that I would consider him more qualified if he would just admit he would make abortion illegal if he could. I would fear his reign on the court, but at least he wouldn't be lying.
Another interesting point. Slage Magazine polled lawyers and law students about whether it was possible for someone involved in the legal system to keep his or her views on Roe v Wade a secret. Pretty much everyone responded that the simple act of completing law school almost automatically assures that several dozen, if not hundred, people will know your viewpoint on Roe. This makes the fact that both Miers and Alito assert that "no one" knows their views on Roe very interesting.

Garou said...

Or, option 3: He is trying to BS Feinstein, in order to have a chance to avoid the fillibuster. Sadly, something has changed in the last 15 years: even though many Republicans disagreed with the views of Ginsberg, there was no doubt that she was a qualified jurist, and was confirmed 96-3. There were no doubts raised about Roberts' qualifications, he was confirmed 78-22. If Alito stands by his earlier comments, I predict a fillibuster, with an eventual (possible) confirmation along the lines of 60-40. No one is saying that he in not qualified, only that they do not like his views on Roe v. Wade.