Wednesday, November 09, 2005

Concerning my audience

This is a good question:
Why beg people to leave comments? Your blog is intellectual and current. What more do you need for fulfillment.
I'm right there with the "I'm writing for myself" and "I'm not doing this to be popular" and stuff. I love putting up a good post regardless of whether anyone reads it.

After that satisfaction fades, however, the first thing I do is look to see if someone's read it. I can admit that.

The reason I was asking for comments, however, wasn't just to get comments. I frequently think that I don't know my audience here. I know it's tiny, and I know a few people in it, but I also see regular readers who never say anything. I don't know who they are or why they're reading, and when I'm not writing the Next Great Post, I wonder about them.

So when I said in my post that comments would preferably say "who you are, but anything that tells me you're reading is close enough," that wasn't just to give you an idea for something to say. I really did want to get to know the audience.

Anyway, it's also nice to hear folks think my modest writings are smarter than the average bear.

1 comment:

MDC said...

I share the sentiments. On a similar note, I used to have a half-dozen or so other bloggers (not including yourself, who still leaves comments-thanks) who left comments regularly and now almost never do. Sometimes bloggers only read and comment in order to draw attention to their own blog, which is both disappointing and necessary, because that's how most bloggers build readerships.