Thursday, February 03, 2005

State of the blessed Union.

I didn't watch the State of the Union; I read the transcript. Reading the President's speeches is a chore. I know he has something to say, but I also know he'll pick obscure and flowery ways to say it. As a result, it's a hard read, with a lot of effort put into interpretation of the message. As I write this, one passage stands out:
Because marriage is a sacred institution and the foundation of society, it should not be re-defined by activist judges. For the good of families, children, and society, I support a constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage. (Applause.)

Because a society is measured by how it treats the weak and vulnerable...
Because I'm such a backward kind of guy, I immediately reversed these statements into something like so:
A society is measured by how it treats the weak and vulnerable. For the good of society, I support withholding rights from a vulnerable minority (gays).
In case it's not obvious, I support same-sex marriage. As such, I don't see how intolerance for the rights of gays is good for "families, children, and society." Did my powers of interpretation fail me, or did the President just not say?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if I could be married to my platonic same sexed friend? Or do I have to start having sex with them in order for it to be condoned? Homosexuals simply do not have the right to change the definition of marriage that has stood for millenia; male and female. Homosexuality is no more an immutable characteristic; like race or gender; than liking garlic a lot.