Thursday, February 03, 2005

State of the blessed Union.

I didn't watch the State of the Union; I read the transcript. Reading the President's speeches is a chore. I know he has something to say, but I also know he'll pick obscure and flowery ways to say it. As a result, it's a hard read, with a lot of effort put into interpretation of the message. As I write this, one passage stands out:
Because marriage is a sacred institution and the foundation of society, it should not be re-defined by activist judges. For the good of families, children, and society, I support a constitutional amendment to protect the institution of marriage. (Applause.)

Because a society is measured by how it treats the weak and vulnerable...
Because I'm such a backward kind of guy, I immediately reversed these statements into something like so:
A society is measured by how it treats the weak and vulnerable. For the good of society, I support withholding rights from a vulnerable minority (gays).
In case it's not obvious, I support same-sex marriage. As such, I don't see how intolerance for the rights of gays is good for "families, children, and society." Did my powers of interpretation fail me, or did the President just not say?
Post a Comment