Monday, February 28, 2005

Rich security experience.

This Boing Boing post mocks Telus's new policy of disallowing servers for residential customers. Telus's stated reason for not allowing home users to make use of these ports is "security." However, if you pay them more money (for a business account), you can host a service again. How does paying more money make the insecure suddenly secure? It doesn't, of course.

That being said, I can see the reasoning. Business users have more invested in their computers (in terms of valuable work kept on them) and so are more likely to secure them. A user who "doesn't keep anything important on the computer" is less likely to bother with a firewall or other security measures.

I detest such policies, personally. I like to be able to host things at home, and I think I'm capable enough of protecting myself against intruders.

No comments: