Monday, June 28, 2004

Antispam off the deep end.

I was glancing through my incoming mail log (which caused a maildrop bug) when I noticed an obvious automatic response, but different from most that I see.
Date: 25 Jun 2004 13:42:36 -0400
To: cfelacoliwg@toehold.com
From: "CDD AntiSpam Enforcement" <spamcop@cdd.com>
Subject: SPAM MESSAGES WITH OUR DOMAIN NAME

The mail with the Subject line, "[SPAM 11.11] Re[7]:", was sent by a spammer with forged return headers, from/to your network. You are likely recieving this message as a result of the Non-delivery response.

The CDD Network, does NOT send spam and all parties forging CDD addresses will be held liable for defaming our organization.
I read this and thought, "what good is that?"

I released this message from purgatory so I could reply to it. I was hoping I might convince the fine folks at cdd.com that such an automatic reply is fairly useless. Truthfully, what I wrote was irate and not very productive. Still, I was hoping someone might read it and have second thoughts.

A reply came back 13 seconds later. It said, in part, 'The mail with the Subject line, "[SPAM 03.82] Re: SPAM MESSAGES WITH OUR DOMAIN NAME", was sent by a spammer...'

No comments: