Saturday, October 16, 2004

Unalarmed.

I remember my dad saying that he woke up before his alarm every morning. His body got used to waking up at the same time every day and did it automatically.

After my daughter was born, I went without an alarm. She nearly always woke up on her own before I needed to be awake, and that got me up well enough. Recently, she's been sleeping in more, so I've set a feeble alarm, the one built into my watch. I call it feeble since it's easy to sleep through, especially if the watch is placed somewhere hard to hear.

I went to bed last night pretty late, and I figured at the time that I'd be sleeping like the dead until something woke me. This morning, I woke up slowly, on my own, but I was still tired. As I lay there wondering why I was awake, I had a look at my watch. It was 15 seconds before my alarm.

No comments: