Thursday, July 01, 2004

President Bush asked real questions in Ireland

I read through the transcript of an interview President Bush did with Carole Coleman in Ireland a couple of days ago. I heard about it through Boing Boing, which was linking to a column by John Nichols.

The story, briefly, is that this reporter asked some hard questions, and our President didn't handle it well. Some people who have seen the interview are outraged. The White House then canceled Laura Bush's interview with the same reporter and filed a complaint with the Irish Embassy.

Our President can't orate his way out of a wet paper bag. I remember this every time I read or hear anything he says, but it's driven home so much harder when former President Clinton speaks. I saw him on a show the other night, and I couldn't take my eyes off of him. If you've forgotten too, read this transcript of an impromptu interview he did a few years ago. He called a radio station just to support Al Gore and Hillary Clinton in their elections, and the journalists at the station started asking him some good questions.

I know that ability with language does not equal intelligence. The fact that I sound like a four-year-old to a native Spanish speaker when I try to use their language doesn't make me an idiot. Still, there's something wrong here.

No comments: