Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Care of the American Flag.

Browsing the archives of Constantly Amazed, Yet Never Surprised, I came to this post with a picture depicting a man covered in American flags.

I went looking for Flag Rules and Regulations, which says, "The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery." The Boy Scouts of America agree: "The national flag should not be used as a costume or athletic uniform."

Also, when a flag is worn out and no longer fit to display, the proper way to dispose of it is by burning.

Update: SheaNC points out his own follow-up to the post I linked above. He discusses the hypocrisy of claiming patriotism while mistreating our flag.

2 comments:

SheaNC said...

Kyle, Hello! You won't believe what an amazing coincidence this is -- I was perusing the comments in Abigail's (http://abigail.blogs.com/) and I was impressed by your comments. So, as I usually do when that happens, I clicked my way over here to visit your blog, and what should I see, but a mention of me! A pleasant surprise, I must say... I am just egotistical enough to get a thrill everytime I am surprised with an unexpected mention of my blog. Thanks, man! By the way, I have a more in-depth post on the flag-use issue here: (http://sheanc.blogspot.com/2005/02/red-state-fashion-space-edited.html)

Unknown said...

SheaNC, Howdy! It's the same story here. I don't remember how I got to Abigail's Magic Garden, but from there I've visited the blogs of her other fine commenters. As a result, I have more to talk about here.