Friday, March 11, 2005

Book Meme 123.5

Rules!
  1. Grab the nearest book.
  2. Open the book to page 123.
  3. Find the fifth sentence.
  4. Post the text of the sentence in your journal along with these instructions.
  5. Don't search around and look for the "coolest" book you can find. Do what's actually next to you.
The Dell™ Portable Computers Product Information Guide has no page 123. The Dell™ Inspiron™ 8600 Owner's Manual has a page 123, but it's in the appendix and has no sentences. Next up is Design Patterns by Erich Gamma, Richard Helm, Ralph Johnson, and John Vlissides. Its page 123 is at least half C++ code. I disregard the "sentences" that end with a colon right before a block of code, and I get a "fifth" sentence that's about 3/4 the way down the page:
It may also need a separate operation for reinitializing internal state.
I offer no deep interpretation of this sentence, though I might remark that this meme might have been better performed at home. For a better book meme, see this post at Does This Look Infected?, which is where I first saw it.

I tried tracking this back, but I hit a limit at this post at Feministe, which says it came from Feminist Blogs, which doesn't appear to have an archive. I could muddle through the array of blogs it uses as sources, but I leave that as an exercise to the reader.

No comments: