Tuesday, November 02, 2004

An ideal President

I asked for a new President for my birthday, and a concerned reader asked, "do you want an off the shelf choice or something more idealized?"

It's a good question. The one that came to my mind first was Jeff Bridges's in "The Contender". It's a small part of the movie, but I liked it. Then there are a few easy choices: Kevin Kline's imposter in "Dave", Michael Douglas's widower in "The American President", and Martin Sheen's President Bartlett in "The West Wing". I didn't see that asteroid movie with Morgan Freeman as the President, but it makes me think of someone else who I wish were on the ballot: Barack Obama.

I could stop there, but I'd also like to propose Superman for President. I know he can't really run because he wasn't born in America, but that's beside my point. Superman is a man of integrity, a man of action, and a man of steel. The Secret Service wouldn't have to worry about snipers during his term; they'd just have to collect all the kryptonite in the world. Superman comes with his own indestructable security.

Finally, if you can't get behind Superman for President, I can only assume your favorite candidate would be Cthulhu.

No comments: