Saturday, February 26, 2005

TTLB Ecosystem reality check

The Truth Laid Bear has this Ecosystem set up that ranks blogs like mine with names like "Adorable Rodents" and "Lowly Insects." Toehold is described as a Slimy Mollusc, as of this writing.

The standard practice is to put some JavaScript on the page, and in the browser, it appears to say (in my case):

I'm a
Slimy Mollusc
in the
TTLB Ecosystem

Since it's JavaScript, it's always current with the blog's status. (My intent when I started this post was to include the JavaScript in the post, but it turns out Blogger won't let me do that. The above is static.)

Perhaps I'm just being contrary, but I wanted it to say something else, something nobody else's says. I replaced the JavaScript with this:

I'm a
Flesh-eating Zombie
in the
TTLB Ecosystem

The links are the same as what the JavaScript produces, so it's just as functional. The down side is that I won't notice whether my status has changed without following the link.

It occurs to me that if I wanted to, I could declare myself a "Higher Being" (or something less obvious), and visitors might not know otherwise if they didn't follow the link. I think I'd remove it completely before playing that trick.

No comments: