Wednesday, December 07, 2005

My unbelievable daughter.

At nightly pre-bed wind-down time, my daughter is typically in her bed, watching something she's already seen a hundred times before (but has nevertheless asked to see again). The other night, I walked into her room to find her standing in front of the TV with one hand over it as if to reach something on top.

"What are you doing?" I asked. This is a question that has increasingly been answered with "nothing" lately, but this time she said:

"I got a booger."

"And you were putting it behind the TV?"

"Um, yeah."

I give her points for honesty. I pointed and said, "use the tissues right next to your bed and put it in the trash." Then I left her alone. She might still have put it behind the TV for all I know.

This and many other behaviors drive home the lesson, she's not a little adult. She doesn't reason the way we do, doesn't have the same priorities we do. The world is a different place to her.

This makes for a certain unpredictability. The dogs chew things when we leave sometimes, and once in a while they surprise us with what they're willing to shred orally, but that behavior is basically bounded. My daughter, on the other hand, is capable of so much more. Finding something torn up on the floor when we get home isn't such a shock, but what will I find when I finally look behind the TV?

3 comments:

MDC said...

These little stories make someone who really doesn't want to have kids think that it might be worth a try.

Anonymous said...

I would have to disagree. I don't want strange things put behind my TV. The dead spider carcasses are bad enough.

Garou said...

I would just avoid looking behind the TV until you either move or have to buy a new one. Some things are better left unknown.

Kevin has started hiding things, though mainly he is hiding his toys in strange places. Sooner or later, however, I know that I am going to find the fossilized remains of a snack hidden away in some odd location, like a shoe.