Monday, January 09, 2006

Trustworthy Presidents.

When discussing the recent NSA unwarranted wiretapping story, Rob Corddry of The Daily Show said:
Jon, I think at this point, the Bush administration has earned the right to be trusted on these things. I mean, come on. They've been telling us they're credible for five years. I think it's high time we believed it.
It's no secret that I don't trust President Bush, but some people do. Even if I did trust this particular president, however, I would still think this program is a bad idea.

The problem with collecting data isn't so much who is getting it but who will get it. To approve of this idea, I'd have to not merely trust this president with it, I'd have to trust them all. I think it's safe to say that not every president in our history has been worthy of that kind of trust, and likewise I doubt that every president in our future will be worthy of that kind of trust.

No comments: