Wednesday, September 28, 2005

My daughter mimics conversation.

When my adorable daughter was younger, she could walk but not talk. Nevertheless, she gave the appearance of comprehension with a simple trick:
  1. Recognize when someone asks her a question.
  2. Answer "no."
One night at the mall she showed this trick to the all female staff at Saks Fifth Avenue.
"Hi sweetheart, you're so cute! Do you want to come work here with us?"

"No."

[astonished] "Can you understand what I'm saying?"

"No."
You get the idea. This kind of interaction brought a big smile to Daddy's face every time. I always tried to work in questions along the lines of, "is there any other little girl more fabulous than you?" Unfortunately she grew out of this behavior before I was really finished enjoying it.

No comments: