Monday, June 13, 2005

Baby on board.

My wife is pregnant with our second child. The due date is December 20. We've known about the conception for a while, but I've held off on a public notice until I had a due date since that's the first question everyone asks.

The next question is usually some form of "boy or girl?" Our answer is typically "healthy." Our daughter is usually very definite about which she wants, but it can change from day to day.

We've more or less settled on naming a girl Ava, but I don't think that's set in stone.

Anyway, in another two months we do the ultrasound that will tell us the sex of the baby, and we're going to look, just like we did last time. If it's a girl, we haul out the bagged newborn clothes and launder them. If it's a boy, we remove the pink ones first.

Our daughter knows, and tells anyone who will listen, "my mommy has a baby in her tummy." I like the idea of having her witness the birth herself, but with two reservations: (1) it might be well outside her waking hours, and (2) there will be an unending stream of "what's happening?" and "why?" and so on, so I'd spend my time either answering her or paying attention to the birth, but not both.

During the first pregnancy, my wife was so nauseated that she could hardly eat and lost weight while most women are gaining. The nausea hasn't been as bad this time around, but she's still losing weight.

I'm looking forward to another newborn, another baby. We've said for a while that our daughter should have a sibling. I need to start getting in shape for all the lifting. One thing that took me by surprise four years ago was how very physical the new job was.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that (eh-vah) or (ah-vah)? How do you pronounce Ava?

Unknown said...

We've been saying "AY-va", but the fact that you're asking makes me wonder if we should pick something else.